May 01, 2011

Music Is... The Dead Weather: Horehound

Released July 14, 2009

Ahhh, back again...

Listening to "Cut Like A Buffalo" for the first time a year and a half ago, I was hopping that it wouldn't become a one hitter type deal and then the rest of the album just fizzle out. Thankfully this is not the case. I don't consider myself a rock aficionado at all when it comes to the genre. I can say however, that I've grown up listening to plenty of it so I feel pretty well rounded. I know a good sound when I hear it and this record is surely firing on all cylinders.

Kicking things off, I have to give a double thumbs up to track number 1 "60 Feet Tall". I like that this is a clean sound song. What I mean by clean is there are no unnecessary sounds or needless instruments to emphasize the point. This piece speaks about a woman's strong attachment to a guy  who is condescending (from what I gather) and kind of a ruffian, possibly. But probably my favorite part of this song is at about 3:08 when they really go off on a small instrumentation section.  Same starting at about 4: 30 too, its excellent. Skipping to track 4 we have "So Far From Your Weapon", a very searing, at points almost a western cowboy standoff type thing. Seriously, it makes me think of tumbleweeds blowing in the wind (that famous whistle), mouth open, clueless as to who's going to pull the trigger first. That's not what the song's about of course. Here are the lyrics to this one, I'll let you determine your own meaning. Now, just because I love it I have to mention "I Cut Like A Buffalo". The thing that intrigues me most about this one is the true connection & interaction between the lyrics and the beat. Let me give you an example if you don't already know what I mean. Part of the song goes: Is that you choking?(x3)...Or are you just joking? During that section they do lend a big hand in the visual aid department by making these scratchy, stop and go, choking/hiccup sounds. It's a trip really. This is another track that leaves the interpretation totally up to the listener yet only the writer knows what the true meaning is. I was reading up on a site SongMeanings.net where people have provided their thoughts regarding the "Buffalo", some interesting views. 

I love the intensity behind each song. There's a gruff underlying note that leaves you knowing every track stands for something. The drumming, guitar playing, live feel. Hands down a fantastic record.

No comments:

Blogger templates