May 03, 2011

Music Is... Lupe Fiasco: LASERS


Released first March 4, 2011 in Australia - March 8, 2011 in U.S. 

Love Always Shines Everytime, Remember 2 Smile


Despite the back and forth critical reviews and responses this album has battled with, I'm actually very excited to take it head on. After some research, unbeknownst to me, Lupe was in much conflict with his now label Atlantic Records. From what I've gathered, much of the dispute rose from the lack of him being allowed to take more creative control and also him feeling that the label wants him to be a radio air-wave sensation rather than expressing what's in his heart, and remaining a genuine artist. Now don't get me wrong, he breaks the walls down lyrically by unleashing his opinions regarding common, yet thought provoking subjects. Through particular songs and broad content, he asks heavy questions such as when have you truly reached the pinnacle?, and what is enough?

Despite label issues, many tracks have been viewed by most listeners as the core pieces of this project. Songs such as "All Black Everything" and "Words I Never Said" are meant not to effect a specific audience, but more of a widespread demographic. One sounds his opinion about "racism" as "no context" and inquires as to what if certain historical events never occurred the way they did, "You would never know...You would never see...". The later hears him as he basically relinquishes a barrage of comments and observations regarding the political system and other negatives of today's society. Along with the afore mentioned, some other tracks I've taken a strong liking to are "The Show Goes On","State Run Radio" and more recently "Beautiful Lasers (2 Ways)". Within all three songs, and essentially the album as a whole, I get a sense of his aggravation and frustrations along with the possibility for a more comforting view ahead. Each song has subject matter that in some form or another we can all relate to. That's one of the things I like; familiarity. Familiarity, but with an individualized twist. That's what Lupe has accomplished for me.

Commonality is something I hear way too often in much of today's music. By commonality, I mean what sells; what will be the right launching platform for a record. Formulating a manifesto in order to promote the album to the masses, one of the main declarations that initiates the spark with me is: "...We want substance in the place of popularity". Well put for me. In terms of airplay, there will probably be only a select few from the album that "make it" so to speak. I can't foresee the future, so we'll have to see what happens. I'm sure, however, that for a while to come, these songs will resonate with many people.

TRACK LISTING

Letting Go (Feat. Sarah Green)
Words I Never Said (Feat. Skylar Grey)
Till I Get There
I Don't Wanna Care Right Now (Feat. Mdma)
Out Of My Head (Feat. Trey Songz)
The Show Goes On
Beautiful Lasers (2 Ways) [Feat. Mdma]
Coming Up (Feat. Mdma)
State Run Radio (Feat. Matt Mahaffey)
Break The Chain (Feat. Eric Turner & Sway)
All Black Everything
Never Forget You (Feat. John Legend)


No comments:

Blogger templates