February 17, 2011

Music Is...The Times

 


You may be wondering why I have this notorious logo placed above this post. Reason being that just as Time Magazine reflects whatever important or popular topics are being discussed at that point in time in the form of print, so does music address certain subject matter, veiws and whatever issues going on in the life or lives of people in the structure of sound. In this post, I want to address songs from different time periods that reflect the times and always, the sound. I won't get into extreme detail because I feel the music speaks for itself better than I could ever explain. 
I might skip around on my time periods so bare with me a bit.

  • 1970 - Edwin Star: 'War' - With the Vietnam War already waged, beginning in the 1940's, this "anthem" in a way, reflected the views of many regarding an event that lasted almost 20 years.
  • 1983 - Grandmaster Melle Mel: 'White Lines (Don't Do It)' - The name speaks loud and clear, a song encouraging the strength to step away from its influence. White lines being the usage of cocaine among many during this time. That substance was both a profit and downfall for most individuals. 
  • 1960's - Not speaking on a single event, but during this time there was an emergence of music that contained melodies that we'll never forget. The progression of rock music was branching out into many different forms like psychedelic rock and blues rock. Performers like The Jackson 5, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes and countless other greats were really further proving themselves.
  • 1971 - In my opinion this year was the rise of one of the most recognizable syndicated music variety shows in history: Soul Train. Primarily suited to a African audience, it became a platform for many other genres and became enjoyed by many ethnicities.
  • 1990's - This saw the growth and expansion of many music genres; pop, country, alternative rock, punk, hip hop, electronic music, Rn'B and so on. Examples include Savage Garden, Nirvana, Mariah Carey, Kenny Chesney, Nine Inch Nails, Marylin Manson, Bel  Biv Devoe, Tony! Toni! Toné!, Toni Braxton, Baby Face, Spice Girls, Shakira and so many more. 
  • 2000's - Many would consider the early 2000's a somewhat dead period in music. I for one am not one way or the other. I hear what I hear and either it attracts me or it doesn't. On the other hand I think a hoard of talented artists emerged; Adele, Jenniffer Hudson, Estele, Trey Songz etc.

As the times continue to change so will our opinions, outlook, and of course the music. You never know what the next day holds, so keep on jammin. 

No comments:

Blogger templates