March 17, 2011

Music Is... Beginings?

Sorry for not posting the past few days. My mind has been somewhere else for a bit but lets get the ball rolling again.This is somewhat of a personal post. I know I'm going to go all over the place on this so just go with the flow.

I love listening to music with my mom. I've mentioned her in a few posts in the past. I credit her most for enlightening me on different sounds and genres to this day. Anytime I'm in the car with her, there is always music playing. Now that's not to say that we don't converse or communicate to one another because I love talking to her about things. I love asking her questions about "her day" and what things were like and all that. But me and my mom, among other things, have a heavy connection when it comes to music. We may not agree 100% on everything that's out, but for the most part we like a lot of the same things. I'll get this out there, my mom likes some hip hop, some rap. I understand why. When I talk to her about some of today's music she seems to center the basis of her opinion around the beats and the lyrics. Some of her reasoning is the lyrics could be a little less crude, less vulgarity and things of the like. I don't dispute her on that. I don't try to change her mind either. I realize that she comes from a different era of music. What was instilled in her then has not left and I highly doubt it ever will. She constantly reminds me, "No new school without the old school", and I'm thinking urgg, I know this. But again, I can't dispute that. I can remember when I was younger (violin strings lol) she would drop me off at my aunts house before she went to work. EVERY single ride I took, she always turned on the radio, or played a tape. Every time. I loved it and I still do.

I believe it was around age 7 or 8 when I was in the car with both my aunt and my mom. Al Green was on either radio or tape. I forgot what song was playing but I liked it regardless. There was a silent period in their conversation and I sat up for a moment and I said something to the effect that I see the color "xxx" when I hear this song. I think I said brown but I honestly can't remember. They were like "what?". They weren't freaked out or anything, I just don't think they got the gist of what I was talking about, and being that I was very young at the time I couldn't explain myself clearly so I was just like "Yea, I see the color xxx when I hear this". That's when I began to realize that I relate colors to songs. I believe that I had been doing that a while prior to that moment, but that's when I truly learned that about myself. A few times I've alluded to synesthesia. It comes in many forms such as numbers to colors, taste to colors, memories to colors and certain patterns are perceived differently. However, I'm more so a sound to color girl, although I relate shapes to sound as well. It was only a year or so ago that I began digging into that a bit, but that's a whole other post in itself.

Anyway, as I've matured over the years, so have my taste broadened. I listen back at music that I didn't know why I liked initially at such a young age and I know now. It's funny though, sometimes you don't have to know why you like something to like it. It can be just so. Go figure. I'm still like that. There are songs I can listen to a million times and remain clueless as to why it touches me. Thank you mom.

No comments:

Blogger templates