April 08, 2011

From JP Art's OTHER channel: Graffiti: Art or Vandalism?

*Note, how I came upon this topic in the first place was due to my YouTube browsing, again. I'm subscribed to both JP Art's OTHER channel and his original Patterson Art. He posted a video of his response to this question from a girl building a documentary. Some may consider it lengthy, but it's very interesting and draws you in if you really pay attention.

vandalism - willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property 

art - (4a definition) the conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects; also : works so produced

Graffiti: Art or Vandalism?

I feel that the majority of you will agree with me in that this is a commonly proposed question amongst art goers and those who see this form of expression as unnecessary and destructive. Personally, I love graffiti though I'm not too good. I'm trying to hone my skills in that regard, but that's for another day. In this video, Jacob makes tons of valid points. One that stood out to me the most is where he mentions the right for the owner or owners of that property or object to enforce their right not to have it tagged or marked with whatever image or distorted lettering that person so chooses. Another logical point he brought to the forefront was that graffiti is at most times solely considered art or vandalism when more often than not it is both.

So if this artful skill is displayed in what is considered or seen to be an inappropriate place then it's not art? If it is the same form of expression displayed in an appropriate area then it is art? Again a very debatable question that will no doubt remain a hot topic and will generate an in depth discussion whenever it arises.

What are your thoughts? Let me know what you think about it. 

No comments:

Blogger templates