April 19, 2011

Music Is... The Diary Of Alicia Keys

Released December 2, 2003 in U.S

A gorgeous woman and a talented one at that. Yes the girl has skills. Alicia Keys is undoubtedly a force to be reckoned with in the music industry. As I've mentioned, record sales and chart positions have no effect on my outlook towards an album. Same case here. I don't know where this one lies regarding sales but I know what it speaks about effortlessly: Love, confusion, trust, relationships, friendships, give and take. We've all gone through or are currently experiencing some, all or one of these experiences. Mrs. Keys, not deviating too far from the content of her first record, sings about relatable subjects but with an evident maturity that enables feelings much deeper.

I got this alum about 2 or 3 years after it's release and I'm glad I did. It aloud me to analyze the music for myself besides what constantly rotated on the radio stations and video channels. Don't get me wrong, I liked what I heard, but I've never known an entire record to receive airplay. "The Diary Of Alicia Keys". Each track transitions into the next almost seamlessly. We know the main singles "You Don't Know My Name", "Karma" and "If I Ain't Got You". Many of these songs have been karaokied so many times its a wonder people aren't sick of them. I say, you never get tired of the good stuff though. Good stuff it is. Every track features her skills as a pianist. The notes are crystal clear and at the forefront no doubt. Unearthing gems like "Diary" and "If I Was Your Woman" let you know she can do it simply because she can. I like that she has some hip-hop tracks and oldschool balladry styles in the mix. She lets you know that the piano is the center of attention here. Wonderful narration style work that is insightful yet not completely tell-all.

Indeed, Mrs. Keys initial burst onto the scene was very refreshing and continues to be. She offers a very much mature, grown woman vibe to the industry that I could never tire of. Keep it going.


No comments:

Blogger templates